1. Wash your hands and unpack the kit on a clean surface, ideally in a bathroom.
2. Remove the swab from its tube. Avoid laying it down or touching its tip.
3. Firmly hold the swab 3-4cm from the tip - see the scale shown below.
4. Find a comfortable position and insert the swab 2-3cm into your rectum.
5. Gently rotate the swab 5-10 times in large circles against the inside of your rectum.
6. Gently rotate the swab whilst slowly removing it, and return to the tube pushing tightly to close the seal.