1. Wash your hands and unpack the kit on a clean surface.
2. Remove the swab from its tube. Avoid laying it down or touching its tip.
3. Wipe the tip of the swab around the back of your throat. Swab these five areas:
- Open your mouth wide, and stick your tongue out. You will see an arch at the back of your mouth.
- Rub the swab several times across the very back of your throat, behind the arch. It may make you gag but should not be painful.
- Ensure you also swab the sides of the arch where your tonsils protrude.
- Try to avoid swabbing your tongue and teeth.
4. Put the swab back in the tube and push tightly to close the seal.